As houses are becoming increasingly airtight, there is less natural ventilation. By installing air grids, continuous and optimal ventilation is restored. When using mechanical ventilation, air grilles and valves are also needed for the supply and removal of air. Do you want to install new air vents, replace old ones or clean your air vent covers? In this article we explain the best way to go about it.
Installing an air vent
Ventilation grilles can be installed in different ways:
- Most air vent covers are screwed to the wall.
- Many air vents have a handy mounting sleeve so that no tools are needed.
- Some vents require a hole to be made, for example in the door or skirting board.
In most cases there is an instruction with your desired product, if you still do not succeed you can always contact us. We will be pleased to help you.
Replacing ventilation grilles
Are your air vents in need of replacement because they are old or impossible to clean? You can easily do this yourself!
When replacing ventilation grilles, pay attention to:
- The type of vent (e.g. inside or outside)
- The right material
- The right dimensions
Some grilles are more difficult to replace, such as in a wooden window frame. The wood often starts to warp or the air vent is already old so that it sits very firmly. We advise to keep the vents clean so that replacement can be postponed. You can read how to do this below.
Cleaning of ventilatior grilles
Cleaning air vent covers is an often forgotten chore. Yet it is very important to keep them clean so that the ventilation system can do its work properly and the system will last longer. Therefore, while you are cleaning, check the grilles and valves in that room regularly. Cleaning ventilation grids or ventilation valves requires a different working method.
Air vent cleaning
Air vents provide continuous ventilation. Frequently used ventilatior grilles are window grilles. Air vents can be cleaned as follows:
- Carefully remove the ventilation grill from the wall or ceiling. Be careful because (especially with window grills) dirt can come loose.
- Clean the vent with a brush or a hoover.
- Wipe away the remaining dirt with a moist cloth.
- Use natural detergents, so that no chemical cleaning odours are emitted from the grills.
- Put the ventilation grid back in place.
Some grilles cannot be unscrewed and with old vents it is not wise either, because they cannot always be replaced properly. Air vent covers that cannot be unscrewed can still be cleaned using a hoover, brush, compressor or air spray can.
Cleaning ventilation grilles with sliders
Window grilles are often fitted with a small slide to open and close the grille. We do not recommend closing this grille, as a flow of fresh air is always necessary. It is possible that the slider of the grill gets stuck by the dirt blowing in. It is therefore important to clean them regularly, as follows:
- Is the slider stuck? Then carefully vacuum the grill with a hoover.
- Then spray some (natural) cleaning product on the grille and slider.
- Let it soak in for a while and clean with a damp cloth.
- If the grid is still stuck, it may be necessary to unscrew the grid to get the dirt out.
- The last solution is to replace the grille.
Ventilation Valve Cleaning
Ventilation valves are used to supply and extract air with the support of a mechanical ventilation box or WTW unit. Cleaning a ventilation valve is done like this:
- Detach the ventilation valve from the ventilation duct.
- Mark the position of the valve on the inside with a waterproof marker. Valves are set in a certain way; it is important that they remain in the same position for optimum system operation.
- After this, the valve can be easily cleaned with soapy water or a damp cloth.
- Again, use natural cleaning products.
- Vacuum the beginning of the ventilation duct with the hoover and brush
- Replace the valve according to the correct marking on the inside.
To save yourself some trouble, you can also place conical filter behind the exhaust valves. This ensures that no dirt enters the ducts and ventilation box. This way, the ventilation system will last longer.
Cleaning ventilation systems
If you have a ventilation system and you notice that it no longer works properly, this may be because the ventilation grilles are too dirty. If they are clogged with dirt, insufficient fresh air can be drawn in.
Besides cleaning the ventilation grids and valves, it is also important to clean your mechanical ventilation system once every two years. It is possible to do this yourself, but we do recommend to have this done by a professional. You can read more about the maintenance of your mechanical ventilation in this article.